Tuesday 16 March 2010

Custard cream. Part one



Is too much Nigella a bad thing? I think not. I have just successfully made a chocolate meringue gooey stack from "How to be a domestic goddess", one of my favourite books. I have now bought "Nigella's Feast" which has many lovely recipes. The one which has really caught my eye is the valentines heart custard cream.



Some people would just go out and buy a nice packet of these biscuits, but it seems as time goes by and I get older, I find myself becoming more of what I like to call "a food snob" so the idea of making something as humble as a custard cream, with ingredients of my choosing really excites me.




I popped all the ingredients into the bowl of my food processor George, and in the blink of an eye it was done and in the fridge to chill. The dough was a bit sticky when I tried to roll it out so I sprinkled a bit more flour on the dough and then cut out the hearts. Into the oven they went until nicely golden. Then onto the wire rack to cool.




I went to get the ingredients for the filling and "oh no, I don't have any icing sugar" So my poor hearts are left on the rack until my lovely man gets home from work with some icing sugar. How sad.



No comments: